Friday, April 24, 2009

How to install samba on pogoplug

Below is roughly what I did to get samba running on pogoplug.

# remount the root partition for writing
mount -o remount,rw /

# mount the extra partition for the space
mkdir /opt
mount /dev/mtdblock3 /opt
cd /opt

# get the optware ipkg system
wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/unstable/ipkg-
opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipk

# set it up
tar -xOvzf ipkg-opt_*_arm.ipk ./data.tar.gz | tar -C / -xzvf -
mkdir -p /opt/etc/ipkg
echo "src cross http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/uns
table" > /opt/etc/ipkg/armel-feed.conf
echo "src native http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/native/u
nstable" >> /opt/etc/ipkg/armel-feed.conf

# first update
/opt/bin/ipkg update

# install samba!
/opt/bin/ipkg install samba2

# edit samba config
vi /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf

# run it!
/opt/etc/init.d/S80samba start

5 comments:

rich said...

Best Wishes to you with thanks for your postings. Your site got me started down the PogoPlug modification path with a certain confidence in my purchase.

As I believe Shiva Plug is the same hardware, perhaps this link will provide others a starting point:

http://openplug.org/

There are several information pockets here that will increase everyone's comfort level with the open source nature of this device!

Jay Johnson said...

I'm not that familiar with unix. I've gotten samba to run and the share shows up on my windows box, but I don't know what the username/pass is or where to add a user. Also, what should be changed in the smb.conf file?

Thanks for the help!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this guide, I've now got Samba up and running on my Pogoplug and it's because so much more useful because of it!

Keep up the good work :)

andreasheiberg said...

this won't disable my.pogoplug.com will it? I'm asking since the openpogo.com solution will.

Salim said...

Hi !
Thanks for your great tutorial, it worked great for me !

But just one important thing : I don't know why but the Samba server reports wrong disk size to my computer (Mac OS X) and to my Dreambox (Linux).

I have 2 hard drives, 1 To each, pluged on my Pogoplug, and when I try to access them through my computer I see that for the 2 drives the disk size is like exactly 131 Mo each ???!! That's just impossible because I have more than 500 Go free on wich of them.

Could you please tell me how to resolve this bug ?

Thanks a lot !!

Salim